Korean Dramas: Obsession is such a funny (but appropriate) term


My friend who I’ll refer to as Oh-Ni and I have this silly little (big) obsession with Korean Dramas and Movies and Music. I realized it has been almost a year since I first saw Coffee Prince and within the first five minutes I was hooked. I was cracking up at Yoon Eun Hye’s character Go Eun Chan, and her bottomless stomach. I also took notice of Kim Jae Wook. Even though his role was small, I still wanted to see more of him. I didn’t know at the time that this drama was set in Hongdae, Seoul. It’s become an area I would like to live in, and have considered moving to. It’s considered a very creative place with lots of music and art.
The next drama I found him in was Mary stayed out all night/Marry me Mary, also set in Hongdae. I fell in love with Jang Geun Suk. Even now there are tons of photos of him on my computer. He’s a real Hallyu star* and Asian Prince… according to his twitter :P

Goong came next because of Yoon Eun Hye, I really like her, but this was a very removed character from Coffee Prince, it wasn’t my favorite drama, but it’s a comfortable one that I will watch episodes of every now and again.

Secret Garden is still one of my favorites. It was I think it was the third or fourth one I saw. I have the text tone of Gil Ra Im’s phone : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtAb9vIfgtc
There’s a lot to the plot, too much to explain but I highly suggest you watch it www.Dramafever.com has it for free or Netflix if you have that. It’s one of the best shows I’ve seen and I adore it.

Boys over Flowers! Almost all K-Addicts* know this drama. It's often the first drama people watch too. It was a big deal. Lee Min Ho, Kim Bum, Kim Hyun Joong. This is often considered a trifecta of perfection. It’s hard not to laugh even writing that. There’s a reason I’m not describing plots here, they’re complex and intense, but BOF was based on a Manga comic, so therefore it’s even more convoluted.
Geum Jan Di is transferred to the prestigious Shinwa school where the F4 (flower 4) reign. She could care less about them and this is what get Gu Joon Pyo’s (Lee Min Ho) attention. Through lots of trials and issues later it’s an intense ride to the end. In my opinion It’s an awkward ending due to the best friend, Yoon Ji Hoo (Kim Hyun Joong) who treats Geum Jan Di well unlike Gu Joon Pyo, falling in love with her.  Too many names, yeah… welcome to the club. It took me a while too.  This might help, but maybe not: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/File:BOF_correlation_chart.jpg

Oh-Ni and I agreed this one totally messed with our emotions. Then we watched Hong Gil Dong together, it was based on our mutual love of Jang Geun Suk. We set aside Wednesday’s every week to see the new episodes… No spoilers, but I came VERY close to crying, and it succeeded in breaking her. It was a great show, lots of comedy moments, and then one that totally rips you apart inside. I would’ve cried too, but I don’t want to rust.
 
Click on photo to make it bigger!

We were able to watch You’re My Pet  together, a movie with JGS, we busted up laughing at silly parts and still have codes from the movie.
 You’re beautiful was watched somewhere in there as well Jang Geun Suk and cutie pie Lee Hong Ki. Go Minam is posing as her twin brother in a popular band A.N.Jell, and no one is supposed to know she's a girl. I was told to check out Heart Stings next, which I did, two of the characters from You’re beautiful appear. Many people felt that it was like Heart Strings was a way for the OTP* from You’re Beautiful to actually happen.

We haven't been able to watch another one together yet, we were aiming for Love Rain, but it didn’t happen due to busy schedules.  I went off watching my shows, and she hers. In a quicker succession. No spoilers, VERY general opinions.
After Hong Gil Dong, Shut up Flower Boy Band was exactly what I needed, much lighter and good story line of not giving up on your dream, not to mention the awesome “eye candy” :P (Eye Candy was the name of the band)
Playful Kiss: Still like to go back and watch episodes every now and again.
Winter Sonata: A well-known drama, interesting story line, kept my attention, even if I wanted to smack Yoo-Jin the main character every so often.
One Percent of anything: Actors weren’t so bad, story line was horrid. Can’t believe I finished it.
Spring Waltz: Was sweet, had a great story line, I really liked the actors in this one as well.  
Summer Scent: Started out GREAT… I got really tired of them dragging out the story, and it going NOWHERE. I think I gave up after five episodes of nothing happening.
Shining Inheritance: There were times I wanted to SMACK the computer screen, but good story.
A Gentleman’s Dignity was hilarious as four men coming to terms with their age continue to act like teenagers.
 I’m watching about four shows now, but three are still unfinished series, so I have to wait for them to add new episodes.
Haeundae’ Lovers: Cute, but the bumbling detective who’s supposed to be great, is getting on my nerves.
I am Sam: Finished series,(I’m almost finished with) T.O.P from  Big bang is in it, so of course I’m all in! Lee Min Ho too. It’s from 2007, so it’s a little older, but I’m watching as often as possible to see T.O.P oh  yeah. He’s also in a movie called 19, that’s pretty good.
To the Beautiful you: Loving this “Girl disguised as a guy” show as she sneaks into an all-boys school
Answer me 1997/Respond 1997  Has got me hard core hooked. It’s one of the shows I would watch in one sitting if all the episodes were there.  It brought back a lot of memories for me from that era. Granted all of the references are Korean, it still is apt and hit home.

Arang and the Magistrate has gotten my attention Lee Jun Ki has got me hooked, it’s got serious but entertaining feeling going on. If it ends anything like Hong Gil Dong I’m going to cry. I saw Lee Jun Ki in The King and the clown a while back ago (a movie) and he was great. I’ve been hooked on him since.
Oh-Ni and I started Faith, but we just couldn’t make it work. It seems interesting, but for whatever reason, we’re just not feeling it. It’s not the first time either.
Operation Proposal kept repeating it seemed, and after about four episodes and then skipping stuff… I gave up, it just seemed to go nowhere.

I must really like the cross dressing girls as guys thing, because it’s a sure fire way to get me to watch the show.
Coffee Prince,
You’re beautiful/Handsome
….and now, To the Beautiful you.

I almost always finish the drama’s but every now and again there’s some I just give up on. I’m glad to know I’m not alone in this, and Oh-Ni and I usually get exasperated with the same drama’s. There have only been a few that I’ve liked and she hasn’t and vice-versa. It’s nice to have someone to play back episodes with and spazz out with over something that most people look at me like I’m mental for.

I don’t see a cure to this anytime soon. That’s alright though, I don’t really want one.


*Hallyu star: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_wave

*OTP: One true Pairing, How they should be paired up, and not how it happens.

*K-Addicts: People obsessed with Korean Dramas/Movies or Music.

Comments

Popular Posts