Haight-Ashbury: Reflections from the Road.

Notes I kept during the trip to San Francisco.
Golden Gate Park

Pic a cap, where's the ball?
 HS and I went to Golden Gate park. The weather was beautiful, there was a thick smell of marijuana...everywhere. While we waited at the stop for the bus to get there, a man came up to us professing his love and asking for a hug HS and I just turned in toward each other trying to ignore his existence. After about 3 minutes of this he gave up and walked away. We boarded the Muni and could smell pot so strongly, I wondered how the driver avoided a contact high. We passed rows of houses pushed against each other and shops with "groovy" names painted in psychedelic colors. We made it to the park after much stop and go and a hustler trying to make a buck while you guessed where the ball was, we arrived. There was a group in thick hemp jackets, that smelled like 3 weeks of no shower and of course ... Pot! We didn't come within 10 feet of them, but I could smell them as we walked by. The weather was nice, beautiful even. A partially cloudy sky, but still some blue up there. We walked around the park, looking for the museums we didn't have enough money to go to. There were several there that we both wanted to visit, specifically the De Young museum.
 I was excited by the prospect of seeing a Vermeer painting, too bad. I at least got to see a post card. I was anxious to get a shot of the Haight-Ashbury sign. I had been for a while. HS told us our friend would be picking us up over there so we had to hurry from the park, because they would be there soon. My feet are blistered from the first day, and sore, to top it off I was in some pain from the bed. I hurried as fast as I could, as it began to rain.... and rain... and rain. It got thicker and it got heavier the closer we got to the intersection I had been so very anxious to visit. By the time we got there I was soaking wet and I couldn't see anything. I tilted my camera up in a futile attempt to capture the image I've been so longing for. Well... That was crap. (As of now since I haven't seen the photo yet)** It didn't turn out so bad.** We crossed the street looking for our friend, who was nowhere to be seen. We got the call to walk all the way back down to the park where they were waiting for us. A soaking wet walk on blistered feet back through the streets. I didn't mind the walk, I was just hurting too much to keep up with HS, as we were slightly separated, but she was always in my sight, men would make comments, or 'offers' as we passed by. They usually refrained from doing this when we were arm in arm. As we got closer to the park, the rain began to let up and by the time we saw the main entrance it had completely ceased, and was once again blue. It was like a petulant child smiling at me with a wicked grin saying 'just because I can'.



Comments

Popular Posts