Don't throw that out!


As I am cleaning out my jewelry box the thought hits me again, I am extremely sentimental. I’ve always known this, but it really hits home when you’re digging through your pile of items, with a memory attached to each piece, while you wonder when the chick from “Hoarders” is going to come knocking on your door.

I have bottles of almost used up lotion from 5 years ago (I have begun to throw those away). The only reason I keep it is “just in case.” In case of what I have no clue, but as for that slip of paper with my friends phone number from the night we met 8 years ago... yeah that’s sentimental. This is an issue. If it was a gift and  something really special, I will probably still have the wrapping paper from it too(something else I am working on getting rid of). I have a box that something came in from 8th grade! 8th GRADE!! To be fair I do have little rock turtles in there.
OMG, I remember this!!!

It’s cool that I have the first stories I wrote, specifically the ‘cartoon’ I did in 4th grade, but the 1,000 note books I have stuffed in every crevice of the house… not so cool. Most of them are filled with ideas for stories, drawing and doodles, songs or poetry, most of them are not worth reading out loud, but when I need some inspiration, or retrospection, it’s nice to have.



 I look around at the various items I refuse to let go of, and realize my list is beginning to sound like a Shel Silverstein poem.
 http://mste.illinois.edu/courses/ci407su01/students/north/kristy/Project/K-Poem-Net.html   *This one specifically. 

The strangest thing is I am an out of sight out of mind person. If most of my items were to disappear tomorrow I would barely notice, but the fact Is that I see these items and pull a memory from them, and I don’t let it go.

I have a Celtic ring with a lions face  given to me in the 8th grade, it is broken down the middle, yet I refuse to let it go, I still remember my friend gave it to me for braiding her hair. Now if I could just find her!
I’ve even bought a replacement, but I’ve yet to let the broken one go.  
Most of the items I refuse to let go of, I can tell you where and from who I’ve gotten them.
I am such a pack rat.

Oh! I gotta go the chick from “Hoarders” is here.

Comments

Popular Posts