Private Showing: 동창생



What’s it like to have a theater to yourself….. AMAZING
You can giggle and screech to your hearts delight and not have to worry about anyone getting bothered.
A friend and I went down to Cinemark Theater, in Federal way to see a private showing of 동창생 or Commitment.  
It’s a Korean movie starring T.O.P from the group Big Bang.
We are pretty big fans.  
The movie was released and shown maybe once, then pulled from the theater with next to no advertising for it.
 I was pretty devastated when my friend told me they were no longer showing it after 1 day.  So she called and told the manager and they offered to show it for us especially. 
I say they should get the customer service award for the year!
It was at 9:00 am once we got there. 
oh did we ever squeal
There weren’t a lot of people, but it was perfect, I had even driven about 3 hours just to see this with her. Good company is always worth the drive.
We got to the mall and there was actually parking, and we could see the entrance (after the 21st of December, that’s a big deal) 
We grabbed something to drink since we had a little time and discussed how excited we were. I was told I was not allowed to turn the movie into a comedy… like I did with The Hobbit. However I couldn’t resist 100% and did let one or two lines slip.
Sorry. 
 
We were finally let into the theater. We asked the girl who took our tickets to take a picture for us, which she sweetly and uncomfortably did. I ask if there’s a chance they had any posters left from the movie, and she actually CALLS HER MANAGER! She asks him and they offer to look for us. I am STUNNED! She could have just said no
They come find us, and tell us in the nicest way possible that they don’t have any of the posters. We are sad, but very impressed with their courtesy and willingness to look.


We settle in (to the best seats of course) to watch the movie and as it begins the (Korean) dialogue we notice something that might be a bit of a problem... There are no sub tittles. Now I speak a little Korean as does my friend, and I understood a bit of what was going on, but after about 5-10 minutes without subs we decided this isn’t’ going to work. She ran out to get someone to rectify the problem. Once it is all fixed we happily re-sat down and ooh’d and ahhh’d over the glory that is Choi Seung Hyun, aka T.O.P
Choi Seung Hyun
The movie is about a spy sent to South Korea under the guise of helping his country and being able to return to take care of his sister. However, there are some unexplained issues in the plot. I usually don’t go for spy movies, I was never a Bond/007 or Bourne fan, however this one really got my attention. 

The photography  in the film is well done, as is the acting. T.O.P has always had a good presence, on stage or on the screen. The female Han Ye Ri reminded me of HS, my friend who returned to Korea and I miss very much.  She played the part of a picked on student with an element of grace and dignity. You didn’t feel sorry for her, which is rarely the case. Her emotional portrayal was of a very mature and yet vulnerable young woman.
My friend kept squealing over T.O.P’s  beautiful eyes (nor argument here) and I just kept
saying… “oooh”  and other very inappropriate things. The emotions that the main characters portrayed were nothing less than exceptional. Nothing felt phony or staged. However the whole time I saw the locations I was looking for something familiar and for some reason thought some of the scenes were set in Hannam-dong.
It was absolutely worth the trip. I HATE Christmas, but I LOVE watching movies, so this is the best time of year for me to watch all the great movies.
all ours.


*note: I do not advise taking photos in the theater, since it was only us, I took the liberty of taking a few (3) to share the experience. DO NOT take photos at the theater. DO respect your surroundings. 

Comments

Popular Posts