Outrunning Alzheimers



WHERE DID THAT FILE GO~?

You want to know what really messes with your mind?! 
When you write about your fear of having Alzheimer’s and you can’t find the paper you wrote.
Yes, this happened.
I have a problem with short term memory.
I always have. 

Sometimes I forget what I’m saying while I am saying it, even now I forget what I’m writing while I’m writing it. 
Growing up I would freak out that I already had Alzheimer’s when I was 12.
This fear of mine isn’t a new thing, I’ve done it my whole life. So as a young child I had the fear I was getting  “old timers”.  I found as I got older my fears weren’t completely unfounded. My father’s mother and father had Alzheimer’s, and subsequently passed away from it, although I didn’t know about that until much later. I found I was already attempting to out run this  brain deteriorating curse. Even from a young age.
There are several suggestions on how to battle Alzheimer’s. Most often suggested is exercise a healthy diet and language learning.  Yes learning a second language helps your brain, imagine that.
Good thing I LOVE language and languages. I was bored and decided to randomly learn German a few years back, after many years of sporadically studying French. I'm now learning Korean. It’s fun to play with words.


If you've been around me enough, you know I sing to everything I hear, I learn the words quickly and remember them for sometime. I love music. It is my drug of choice. It is what helps me cope and makes me happy.


I would do those Sudoku puzzles… but there are numbers involved.
 One of the most important suggestions to stave off Alzheimer’s is to continue learning.
I hope I never stop learning new things. 

Comments

Popular Posts