하루하루 In Korea: Getting Lost and Experience

Gyeongbukgoong

I got lost. Not just a little lost. I was really lost. I took the wrong subway. The subways have the names of both destinations above the subway entrance, and it gets confusing. The main map they give you to read also tends to only list the MAIN stops, NOT the little 3 or 4 in between. 
Sweet ladies from a church
I planned to go one way, and went the opposite way. I didn’t know where I was. I got off at a random stop and just started walking. 

I am in another country, and I speak very little of the language. So when I was tricked into entering a random church under the  guise of coffee, I blindly said okay… 
I’m too nice. I can’t be mean to sweet smiling ladies. Luckily I didn’t understand enough of the VERY nice pastors questions, and he ushered me out.

 I took a picture with the sweet ladies, I heard one say “Oh my so pretty” (yeah THAT I understood) and started walking again taking pictures of random places.  



*This THIS is a helpful sign, this means Buses (aren’t you glad I told you) and where there are buses, there are usually subways.


I’m not allowed to ride the bus.
I eventually got back on the subway and went to the place I originally planned. It was MUCH later than I meant it to be when I got there (because the sleeping until 1:00 pm really helped) I walked around the area, and of course took pictures.  


There really is some fantastic architecture here.

Leave it to me to find the bit of nature here….
And get in trouble for sitting in a tree. 
Yeah, they don’t really like people sitting in trees here apparently. Whatever.
 I got up and continued to take pictures around the area before finding the subway again. 

Chyeonggycheon
Gyeongbukgoong
I went back to Hongdae (where I’m staying now), and stopped at my room. Headed back to the street to find something to eat. The place I wanted was closed, so I kept going and went to SUBWAY! I got the first seafood sub I’ve had in YEARS. They quit making them where I live. I was SO happy to have one again. After I left I went up a couple streets… and down. Here is the thing about Hongdae; pretty much anywhere you go, you will hear music playing 3, 4, 5, 6 songs at once in some places. The businesses have music blasting from shops, clubs and booths all leaking out into the street.
I know I’ve gone too far one way when I don’t hear music or I only hear one song.
Hongdae


One thing about walking around…
People don’t watch where they’re going, 
people don’t watch where they’re going 
people don’t watch where they’re going!

This really seems to be an issue, people are always staring at their phones or I-pad or some other device, but not where they are walking.

The subway is fun, because everyone kinda lines up and then the older people try to cut everyone off to get on first.  I just stand there and wait. People getting on the subway are supposed to let others off first, it doesn’t always happen that way.
I try to give up my seat for others unless I’m just TOO tired. It happens. I’ve been walking around SO much that sometimes I just want to fall down dead from exhaustion. However, my feet hurt so bad, they’re telling me “muahahahahah now you’re really going to pay.” Makes falling asleep difficult.

Back to the subway, It’s pretty comfortable for the most part. And as I said I try to give my seat up to those who need it more. One such occasion I got up so a group of women could sit. I had several stops to go, but didn’t need to sit down. I had a rather large bag of laundry with me, and one lady began tugging on it. I thought I was hitting her with it, and tried to move she grabbed the bag and pulled it on her lap for me. Everyone on the subway turned to see what was going on. I said thank you and when it was time to leave about 4 or 5 stops later in Korean I said “This is where I go. Thank you very much.” That went a long way. They were very impressed, and besides, it was sweet of her to hold my bag.
The subway has been a pretty good experience, I am used to people staring, usually they try to take glances at my tattoo. Sometimes people try to take pictures, and I’m telling you NOW, you are NOT subtle when you use your I-Pad to take my picture. The most awkward experience I’ve has thus far is a mentally challenged man (which I’m still not sure HOW he got on) grabbing my arm and rubbing up against my breast.  I growled, and he moved on. The buses are clean and for the most part the drivers are pretty nice. One driver didn’t want to let me on with my suitcase, when I was going to Hongdae. So that was frustrating, but that was my only complaint.


I’ll get to clubs in another post, but I will say this; I must be too masculine here, I keep getting girls who are interested. 

Comments

Popular Posts