하루하루 In Korea: Running and random art.

Running and random art.
In Chongdamdong: a scene from Secret Garden was shot here ^^
 We made it to Gangnam station and from there went to Chongdamdong.
 It is a beautiful place with VERY high-end shops, upper-class living and everyone is in the best clothing. It really reminded me of San Francisco or Bellevue, Seattle area, but nicer… cleaner. Women walk around in beautiful clothes and handbags that would cost me a yearly wage!  We stopped and ate “twiggum” fried street food.  It was really good, soondae, and ddeokkbokki. We ate while we sweated just out of the hot downpour on the other side of the tent. At one point a cool breeze broke through the rain, it was more than welcome.

We met up with a 
friend of HS, KS. 
After introductions we wove in and out of winding roads that lead to a labyrinth of shops and galleries. We found tiny art galleries behind stairs and down alley ways. We looked at the displayed pieces discussing them in depth, sharing opinions, views, ideas, and imaginary connections. 
I loved it. Truly.
KS had studied in England, and punctuated her speech with “darling” and I replied with
“Luv”, something I've done for years.
She immediately reminded me of a good friend back home. We clicked.
We went into a paint shop for a project they’re working on. The feeling in the paint shop is VERY different from that in the US.  It isn't some dusty shop next to a bowling alley or in a spare space in a hardware store.  Here they take great care with their supplies and colors. Attention to detail is very apparent. There is a very earthy feeling to the building, even in the middle of the metropolitan setting.
KS and me saying our goodbyes ^^





The next morning we said goodbye to KS, and we met up with IA! I was SO happy to see her again. I didn't get to say goodbye to her in Seattle before she left, so I was ecstatic to see her again. We went to get seollungtang since it was the solstice (tradition)
 We were hoping to go to the palace, but it closed before we could. We explored the twisting back alleys of Itaewon and ventured into little shops with pretty colors displayed.
HS and I umbrella sword fought as we walked down the road. I was my usual silly self.
Umbrella fighting


We still haven’t gotten me a cell phone yet. I need a cell phone. *(as of this post I do have one) It was my first concern, but it wasn't as wasn't as I’d been led to believe by my company. I wish I’d known to unlock my own phone before I left, It would have made life easier! We are still hunting one out for me. HS’s father has graciously given me permission to use his old phone. It was looking like it would have taken half my spending limit to have communication, and the feeling of safety. I am NOT kidding I feel SO naked without a phone. I don’t mind not having one at home, but in a foreign country, where only speak bits and pieces of the language, it is a rather uncomfortable prospect. I don’t mind so much when I’m with HS, and I basically have her in arm’s length the entire time, but it is a different feeling when I am on my own.  It is also a form of sensory deprivation, because I have no idea what time it is, I get a little unnerved. I’m stuck relying on HS for that knowledge as well. *Talk about feeling like a burden.

Another thing I've noticed, because the society is such that it is polite to mind your own business and not strike up a conversation with strangers, most people ride the bus or subway with their faces in their phone, some have books, but not many. I've already decided I will need another book to read, as I don’t have my phone, and an hour is a long time to stare into the darkness. 
I have now acquired books ^^ 

Comments

Popular Posts