하루하루 In Korea: O M G the Buses and Traffic.


Being on the bus here isn't so bad, so long as you’re sitting. They’re clean, comfortable and I've yet to have the experience of the guy next to me asking if I smell the same colors as he. However as soon as you get on SIT DOWN and hold on to something. The bus jerks forward and if you’re not stuck to something you’ll go forward too, along with anyone still standing in the aisles looking for an empty seat. The second day I was here, a man driving a delivery bike cut in front of the bus with less than 5 inches between him and the five ton vehicle that could have easily turned him into a road pancake. The buses weave in and out of the traffic much the way I do in my little two door Corolla. They honk at every car that crosses them, and doesn't fend for their space.  


We've taken two taxis, and they do much the same dodging other vehicles and diving for a space, Honking at everything with wheels. They’re quicker, than a bus, at getting in and out of traffic, but nonetheless they’re aggressive about getting to their destination.
Police cars are all over the place.  It is easy to see them because they have their lights flashing all the time. In Seattle You always see someone pulled over. Here, just flashing lights constantly.

You hear a lot of brakes screeching and you really do have to look both ways before you do anything. Some people will stop for you, others try to get ahead of you, even though they’re in the automobile. It’s interesting. The delivery boys weave through the cars like it's nothing, as if the cars are standing still, with great skills. I swear I saw a 12 year old delivery boy pulled up on a bike and light up a cigarette, then later an ajumma riding the bike like a pro racer. Yes this shocks me.
I mentioned some of this to my friend and he said "Oh that's nothing." I had to laugh. 
The subway is a whole different beast. It's mass transit as its best. It's easy to get lost and found down there.


Comments

Popular Posts