Words are just words are just words are...


      Words have such a strange effect on us. Sometimes all it takes is one sentence or one word to break you apart, make you feel like you are nothing or everything you’ve worked for is all for naught. It can make you feel bad for something or you’ve done something great depending on how it is said. Inflection and tone of voice included, sometimes the way we are answered when we call out changes how we will in turn respond.
Postsecret.com
We could be having a really bad day, and one random person says something nice, and poof bad day gone. Words hold power and possibility, a connection an intimacy.  It doesn’t even have to be the words “I love you”  It can be something as simple as, “you look nice today” or “I like spending time with you”.
I don’t think I will EVER forget the little girl I met when I lived in Oregon. I was working as a cashier at a small chain grocery store, I had only been there about a month or so and I was having a horrible day.., week… month!  I had been living in Oregon for a few months, I had gotten my own place (my first, and not in a good way) I was lonely and sad and basically miserable. I wore my hair in pig tails all the time, because I thought it was cute (I’m not a mature person, and I was trying to be cheerful) I heard one of the girls I worked with tell the little girl “You should go tell her that.” I finished with a customer when I turned around to see this gorgeous little girl looking up at me.
   “You’re really beautiful.” She said staring up at me. I almost cried at her comment, I hadn’t heard anything nice in a long time at that point. I ended up becoming friends of the family for the time I lived there. I sadly lost contact with them when I moved. She had even tried to kidnap me once. She tried very hard to take me home. She was a beautiful sweet girl. It had to be genetic, because her grandmother was the same, and yes I told them so.
These were simple words, but the effect on me was massive. Sometimes the only words you need to hear or say are “I am here”, “I am behind you” (in a supportive non-creepy way) but only say them if you mean them.
Sometimes the words indicate a closer relationship, or an intimacy, nicknames between friend for example. There’s a feeling of acceptance and contentment of being included (don’t you just love that I’m in psychology class right now) Regardless of what you say, choose your words carefully. They can mean much more to someone else than they do to you.


I was speaking with a friend recently about creativity. My take on it was:  We are an amalgamation of our whole being (we are what we have experienced) So two people with very creative minds, touched by different things in life will have those influences shine through their creation.
He appreciated this simple opinon of mine with a great heart, and asked if he could keep them. Sometimes the greatest gift can be simple words.

Comments

Popular Posts