Culture


We grow up in our culture, sometimes unaware, sometimes very involved. There are those who wish to dwell in the American old west and never give up their inner cowboy. Others have a culture steeped in ancient tradition and honor. They repeat the same actions their ancestors before them eons ago. I’ve often felt I didn’t grow up with a culture. The more I learn about other cultures, the more I realize I just didn’t notice it. In the US we grew up celebrating the 4th of July, we each had our own Christmas Eve traditions, and expected aunt Mable’s green bean casserole at Thanksgiving (I don’t have an Aunt Mable, never have, but it’s a nice Normal Rockwell image, another American pop culture reference.) My favorite is dressing up every Halloween, even now.
http://www.best-norman-rockwell-art.com/norman-rockwell-saturday-evening-post-article-1943-03-06-freedom-from-want.html


Culture is our everyday, how we interact, an agreed upon set of behaviors. Something we often take for granted, don’t necessarily think about, but some are very proud of what their culture consists of. It is intimate yet universal.

I love learning about other cultures, behaviors and tradition. My favorite cultural experience is food. Not just foreign food (although I LOVE Korean food) but how we behave around it. In America we often get our own plate and eat what we get. We are taught to eat everything we are given. I remember hearing Take what you want eat all you take. In many Asian cultures eating everything on your plate is more of an insult; You weren’t fed enough, you must still be hungry. This is often my conflict, it’s so good, but should I leave a few bites? This is not to say all Asian cultures are the same THEY ARE NOT. I love to eat with my friends from Korea and Macau. We share everything we get, often telling the other person to eat more of something specific. I am grateful they are willing to share all of these experiences with me. I am very lucky.

In Korea when you drink together you are to turn away from the eldest person drinking, as a sign of respect. The first  time I got to drink with some friends I had known this, but didn’t expect to look up and see both of them turned to the side (I was the eldest). It was funny to me, and the image will never leave me.

I am so grateful for these people in my life and the opportunities to learn and share our cultures.

Comments

Popular Posts