Packing for South Korea



Here I am about two weeks out from my study abroad trip to South Korea! I can't believe I am going back. 
I have been working toward this for a while now and although things haven't been so easy here, 'tis too late to back out now, so I best be on with it. I am planning on working really hard (STOP LAUGHING) and improving my language skills, because they really do need improving. I truly need the immersion. 
I am anxious, and nervous and excited. 
I am happy to see everyone I have missed - and now I will be going.  
Let's get to it. 
This is what I am packing for South Korea for a year~


 



So I am a bit of a weirdo (yeah like this is news). 
I have a bunch of mini-bags all with their own separate purposes. 
 I really don’t know if this will serve to help or hinder me, but I have this odd need to compartmentalize my stuff



In my carry on
Passport 
Bank information
Insurance card
Medical information
Important paperwork for school (in a folder) 
Laptop
Ipod


A mini pharmacy bag ():

·         Anti-allergy meds + severe allergy meds

·         Triple antibiotic

·         Band aids

·         Q-tips

·         Ear plugs

·         Stomach relief

·         Mole foam (happy feet)

·         Powder (small)

·         Inhaler (breathing is good)

** These are small things that I can get there, but I don’t want to hunt them out, because I’m lazy.< Yes that is why







Anything that may leak, put tape on it and seal it TRUST ME
Shower Caddy bag

·         Mini Shampoo & Conditioner

·         Mini Body wash

·         Mini lotion

·         New toothbrush

·         Mini toothpaste (2)

·         Razors

·         Soap (mainly because I need to use it)


You can get pretty much all this there, no reason to over pack it, just get enough to hold you over until you get a full size. Do I need 4 razors? NO! Why do I have 4, they fit and I like the colors.



+Bathroom Bag

Perfume

Febreeze * It keeps clothes smelling good longer-

Deoderant 
*Antiperspirant (lots of it) It is difficult to find in the S.Korea. I managed to find deodorant, but it was mostly perfume and about $5 for a small thing of it. It worked (sorta) my arm pits smelled good~

Teeth cleaners


In Addition
2 Towels. Full size towels are difficult to find. Most are no bigger than a hand towel.

4 flat sheets, (taking one set shipping the other) Most beds don’t have sheets, but something else, I don’t know what to call them, but I want sheets. 
So I am bringing them. One set in my bag and one set will be shipped. Why flat?  Well at the university I may have one size bed, **(UPDATE**) but if I move to a goshiwon later I may have another size, so buying 4 full flat sheets works better than worrying about a fitted sheet, and they fold easier too. 
<-- A shoe organizer for socks and underwear since space will be limited and I can hang it up to save space. 



Goodies along photos to hang up.

*Specialty*

Décor bag

WHY
Because I definitely want something that is ME where I live~ all removable









Something interesting.

This is a craft box my friend gave me. I decided to make use of it for my jewelry (because I have a lot) the caveat was – it doesn’t fit in the box it doesn’t go. But I had all these open spaces, so there is now a sewing kit, some office supplies, and safety pins.


Do I recommend this, not really, but in this case I had something that worked in my favor. 
I will also be having a box shipped to me when I leave the USA with additional items the extras I don’t need right away. My 2nd sheet set, extra clothes, additional deodorants anything that is not of immediate need and would make my bag too heavy.
CAN’T FORGET 
My contacts (I ordered a year supply because it was easier.) 
My CAMERA!! (and cords)
Power converters. Get converters before you go, they're small and it is easier than hunting them out. I ordered 3 from Amazon for less than $20.  
Your electronics WILL NOT WORK over there!
For women take tampons! They are difficult to find over there and far more expensive when you do. 





What I am not taking with me.

  • Blow dryer/ hair straightener:

1.    even with the converter I’ve heard they blow up
2.    they take up too much room
3.    easier to simply buy new ones over there.

  •  School supplies

Wait. Aren’t you going there for school!?
Yes, but I can get everything there, for about the same price. There is nothing special here that I can’t get there~

  •  Extra shoesBecause I have really small feet and can get what I need there.

  • Winter clothes. No point yet (no room). I will have to have them shipped at a later date.


**UPDATE**
So I was supposed to live in the dorm on campus, however I got an e-mail saying there is no room for me, and I have been offered a place at 3X the cost of living in the dorms. I said no thanks and I will be finding my own housing. So it is a good thing I planned to go early to get comfortable with the surrounding area, because it looks like I will be using that time to find a place to live.
 

Comments

Popular Posts