What's all this noise!?

Stolen from Pinterest

Of course this generations music is just noise, and so was the crap we listened to, especially if you ask my grandpa, who I'm PRETTY SURE ran over my Vanilla Ice tape when I was 7. 

My music skills in dance form
Sorry Grandpa-  
But hey I still know all the words to Ice Ice Baby however, I'm not really all that sure if that's something I should be proud of. 


Anyway...
someone played a song for me the other day and I don't think I could name it or would recognize it again. But, it did reminded me of the first time I ever heard Skrillex. It was really just cacophonous discord not much more than sharp sounds, but somewhere in that noise I also heard the underlying of what could be considered punk from the 80's if you go back to bands like English Beat. 


In the 90’s we had the return of the doo-wop sounds of 50's (along with the movies hearkening back to that era in what's known as the 40-year cycle) and our grandparent's/parent's generation complaining about "that noise" on the radio. Now this concept of the influence of past styles influencing the current trends isn't musically ubiquitous, but often will permeate airplay. ‘All About That Base’ had a deep throw back and equal parts love/hate for her nasally 50's inspired body positive anthem. 
Currently the millennial whoop is the sound that’s being over used in all the top 20 hits. I first noticed it in “California Girls” and in a Carly Rae Jepson song that sounded just like it and while the list isn't too extensive it's repetitive and over familiar- which I believe is the goal. But it was before that I had hueard in King of Leon "Use Somebody" and even then it was not new. It goes back to the 80’s, with Baltimora… that 80’s that era that is being relived by some of the older millennials.


 Okay, yeah makes sense.
So is it really just sounds? Well there's endless videos on YouTube stating just that, there was indeed a day the music died. And showing how far we've slipped from the music of even 10-20 years ago. I grew up listening to the Pink Floyd, The Doors, The Beach Boys and The Four Seasons(talk about genre switch). I know Patsy Cline lyrics, ZZTop, I met ] Lynyrd Skynyrd when I was 17 while I had their top hits in my CD player during the time of the chance meeting. My grandma had me listening to Garth Brooks, Neil Diamond and Willie Nelson. 
That doesn't mean ALL old songs were golden oldies, there are plenty of beloved classics that are craptastic, but the difference was they had real musicians playing instruments, even if was just a simple four chord progression. Genre changing movements were based on pure instrumental play. Today it doesn't matter how little talent one has, it just matters how well the producer works that auto tune and some computer buttons.
stolen from Pinterest
Although I see the progression from Fleetwood Mac to No Doubt to Lady Gaga... I don't know what the hell half the crap I hear now is. I've mostly switched to K-pop/indy because I find some genuine artistry in some of those bands. Although I like some of the music I hear, I can't stand how depressing most of our playlist has become. 

I find more and more people turning to pop music outside the states, because our music has become utterly depressing. The queen of upbeat rave music has somber songs to cry to (and for good reason) and even our mother monster has taken further steps in addition to touring for political involvement- no doubt her way to make the world a better place. 

As for me and K-pop that’s another topic for another blog. Coming soon- Do you still like K-Pop?

Comments

Popular Posts