Do you still like/listen to K-Pop?



Do I still listen to K-pop?
Yes, but not like I used to.
 K-Pop now seems like another world to me. Although I'm finding more and more people who love the same genre, albeit with newer groups and songs. *lookin' at you beautiful family <3
Back when I began my love affair with Korean pop music (Circa 2011), I kept finding new and interesting things, kept learning more about a culture I am still enamored with, and simply enjoyed the music that I was pretty sure I’d never be able to sing.






Originally it was something I was introduced to by chance with Super Junior, leading me to Big Bang by way of G-Dragon.  Yeah I'd follow him pretty much any... where was this going again- oh yea my love of K-pop~
The whole genre was new and interesting. I used to drive 2 hours to Seattle once a month to dance to J/K pop music with a pretty cool group of people, and
I forked over a rather large sum in my graduation excitement to see GD live (in LA) at one point... Wow I really did follow him! Not to brag or anything, but I totally knew Gangnam Style BEFORE it got popular - Okay so I'm not that way, but my (Korean) friends were shocked I didn't know Psy and I got to hear it about a month before it blew up and I learned to hate it and everyone's mispronunciation (It's NOT Gundam RITA :P <3 U) . However, I am easily dissuaded from that Bubble (bubble)pop fantasy by the harsh reality and cruel truths behind the scenes. 
This is just PART of my K-pop library~
 I visited Korea for the first time in 2013, spending most of my time with my friend, meeting new and amazing people, even getting the experience of watching Boys over Flowers with the family- just like in the dramas!  The best thing ever was that I got a great personal experience in understanding Korean culture Thanks to my FANTASTIC friends. 너무사랑합니다 친구야 ^^ 나는 감사하서. And of course everyone asked- "Do you love K-Pop?" Actually I'm pretty sure that was the name of a club I went to- I Love K-pop. Not trying to be the stereotypical foreigner, but YEAH!


Hongdae
The K pop crash of 2014, over saturation of the market, lots of break ups, car accidents and repeated incidences of abuse coming to light really (Video that explains it well here) put me off.
When I returned in 2015 to study got to explore and learn more about the history and language along with my own experience in the Korean school system (and hospital -_-). All this plays a part in the way I absorb the music now. I prefer the indy/rock sounds of Yoon Mirae/MFBTY, Geeks and some other random bands  more now over most pop music. GD has since gone into the military for his service but my adoration for Big Bang as a group has never ceased. The US billboard hits are showcasing popular Korean acts, as America loses its own pop music sound. 
Credit to Creator
BTS is poised on top at the moment, but it’s an ever changing carousel. I look at the magazine I bought at Safe-Way (our local market) with BTS on the cover, and realize all the Big Bang posters I have came from other countries, just 3-5 years ago. The Hallyu wave is bigger than ever, and the report I did on it at Korea university seems like a life time ago- yes I did a report on Korean Dramas & K-Pop for my media class at KU. It was SO MUCH FUN. 
Yeah I still love K-pop, but it's different. I can sing some of the songs now, but I miss F(x) and BlackPink will NEVER be 2ne1 who I also miss-and I haven't heard anything BlackPink that makes me like them yet- yes they're talented, just NOT my thang~ 
Hopefully I'll find some more positive in something that once made me so happy, but times & styles change, and one thing about personal growth is knowing how to change with it.
~Peace~

Comments

Popular Posts