A few truths about living in Seoul



I am sitting here thinking about how I really should be studying for my midterm, but I just can’t bring myself to care enough. I’ve tried. I started several times. I’ve put on my ‘study music’ (maybe I should opt for the bi-neural beats at this point).  Instead a comment a friend said made me think of a blog post. She mentioned how insecure she is about her appearance and I told her she better get used to being stared at once she moves here.


This sparked my desire to share some of the truths I have discovered in the last few months being here. 

1.       People are going to stare. 
I realized this when I came two years ago, and it is still the same. In the USA we are taught that staring is rude, and you simply don’t do it. Therefore when we see someone staring at us we get slightly uncomfortable. 
Since coming here we’ve learned that going out as a group or in pairs is more comfortable. One of my flatmates put it best “The stares don’t seem so bad when we’re in a group.” I’ve begun joking that they must be surprised at how we come in so many different shapes and colors. 


Now those of you that haven’t experienced it may think, “Well what’s wrong with someone glancing at you?”  This isn’t a glance. I have had people stare me down for minutes at a time. While on my way to visit a friend a little old man walked up to me and stuck his face in mine to look at me. When I say ‘stuck his face in mine,” he was less than three inches from my face.  I ignored him.  I usually just ignore them, and it’s easy most of the time. I say most of the time because, I was out to dinner with a friend the other day and a family came in the woman spent the meal staring at me as did the man – who had his back to me. It was hard to miss him turned around on his stool STARING at me.  
This isn’t just on the subway or at a restaurant, when in the hospital someone yanked my curtain back to look at me! 


 This happens at the grocery stores too and their curiosity goes so far as “What’s in the wegookin’s basket?” People will peer over the side of our basket to see what’s inside it; there are usually three of us shopping at once so it’s a mix of different things. It is very awkward to have people looking at your food choices, to me. 
One of these trips I am going to ask if our selection is okay just to see their reaction.
2.       People are going to cut in front of you/No one waits for you.  

     In the USA we are taught to wait our turn, but here if you don’t TAKE your turn, you may not get served or be able to get on the bus/subway. While waiting for the pharmacist a woman jumped in front of me demanding her order. I’d been standing there patiently for several minutes, and I remained silent. She was older than I therefore she gets more "privilege." As a sign of respect.
     Tonight while getting dinner a man yelled his order at the chef while he was getting ready to tend to my friend; the chef and his workmate looked so embarrassed. (They were very kind and even brought our order outside to us later.) I had people step in front of me at the ministop. In one case the cashier made it clear they were rude, and they looked ashamed especially after I said 괜찮아요 (It's alright).
When it comes to getting on the bus people will form what looks like a line. Then proceed to push and shove in front of you to get on or off. Sometimes the bus driver will attempt to shut the doors on you WHILE you are getting on or off. I was once pushed to the back of the elevator and no one would let me off on my floor. Another time I was trying to get to the subway and people were pushing me back in the opposite direction (at this time I was pretty weak coming from the doctor’s and having my stitches removed) I am very close to resorting to a loud yawping sound, maybe in the near future or something else…
MOVE
    People are going to be nice/People are going to be dismissive.  
    I’ve found that some people here are really kind and excited to meet foreigners. They’re really nice. I have mostly met these people. I can be shy (read: social anxiety) when I don’t know someone, so when having to interact it’s not always the easiest thing. I smile and do my best to be polite. Usually I get smiles in return, sometimes questions, or even people touching my tattoo. I don’t mind. Every so often I my friends and I will run across someone who obviously wishes we weren’t here. I understand. We make them uncomfortable- for whatever reason. We are different. (Maybe that’s why I was treated the way I was at the hospital?) One night my friends and I went to a restaurant, and no matter what we said to the lady she barely replied to us, and would not bring us more food when we asked. This is not typical. I accept that this is something that is going to happen and have learned to avoid the places where we treated like we are suspects. Usually we are treated pretty well, and even given extra goodies sometimes. I just make sure to spend more money at the places that are nice to us.
   3.  Dirty vids for the whole family.
This is tame compared to some videos they show
    In some restaurants they play music videos, and they're... not so innocent. Most of the time the girl groups videos hinge on something out of a cabaret show. 
    Korea has this sweet and innocent image, yet these girl groups have videos that are pretty much three minute burlesque shows, and they're being shown
    where people gather to eat... Hey it's still better than sports in my book. 

  3.5. Speaking of restaurants, Soju is the ever-present alcohol of choice. It is cheap, it can mess you up and you can mix it with anything and it is good. Some restaurants even have their own 'special' soju... be careful. The one I had was dangerously close to automotive fluid.



 4.    The nightlife is CRAZY!


  The night doesn’t even begin until around ten or midnight. If you’re going out, plan to STAY OUT. The night doesn’t end until the subway starts running around 5:30am. You bet your class we’re going to have fun. There are clubs everywhere and most offer a free drink or two to get you in the door. It’s absolutely the best way to shake off the stress. So long as you don’t mind body to body, little to no room, lots of noise, and crazy people. 
Enjoy it while you can. We don’t have too much like this in the states. I guess Miami has some places- but I’m on the other side of the US~


5.       Finding clothing is NOT as easy as you think it will be
     Okay so I see these posts of all these people saying oh I got this in Korea and this and this and … I’m like ‘bitch you skinny’ I am short (this is the good part) and have big boobs (that’s the bad part) I have lost so much weight since I got here that I managed to find myself fitting into a large at MIXXO, a Korean store. It was not cheap for one shirt, but it was something. I found a sweater. I was stupid, didn’t try it on – it’s too small, but it’s okay I can still zip it… until my boobs...
     
1 ugly sweater ₩139,000
                                                   
    There are a couple stores where you can find clothes as a foreigner, but they’re not always cheap. I have been begging to have some jeans I ordered sent to me because, out all the clothes I brought with me ¾ don’t fit me anymore. I am down to about three dresses. My shirts are too big, but at least they cover up the pants sliding off my hips. I found some tights I am pretending are leggings, let’s just hope no one else cares~
      * I wasn't alone in this issue a friend of mine dealt with something similar. All the clothing she brought were suddenly 3 sizes too big. Being built not like an Asian made things VERY difficult for her. 


6.       Grocery shopping is more expensive… deal with it. 
1 bag of food~
7.  It’s never quiet. 
Imagine how this sounds. Now imagine it 24/7. That is where I live. There are places where you don’t hear the traffic and noise as much, but they’re more expensive. There are schools everywhere and you hear them. People seem to have little regard for others here, so at 3:00am you will hear someone blasting their horn outside or people yelling and screaming. I saw children yelling while they ran through the Bukcheon neighborhood 
(where there were signs saying please be quiet) and no one told them to stop. Children were screaming and yelling in the hospital, and no one told them to stop. It’s never quiet. 

These are not complaints, that's just how it is.  


8. The food is always good! 
I have not gone one place yet where I didn't think the food was the best thing ever. I even like gopchang (intestines) The only time I didn't eat was in the hospital.  The food here is THE BEST!


With this being said, and even with all the difficulties I've had it hasn't changed my love of Korea one bit. This is still my Seoul. 


EDIT** One thing I forgot to mention is PERSONAL SPACE
In the US a person will go out of their way to avoid you... not here. In fact you may have five feet of space in front of you and a person will still get right up next to you just to walk by. On the subway, sidewalk, bus or even standing in line people don't have the same concept of 'personal space' here as in the USA. I accept this, although I don't personally engage in "stand as close as possible to the person waiting next to me." 
It's enough to make you wanna rethink your wardrobe:

Comments

Popular Posts