Sorry, I can't math: Living with learning disabilities

Learning disabilities sure are fun, and I just love suffering from mine! 
They’re an ever-present wall to climb to gain knowledge. I don’t blame people with them for giving up when it gets too difficult and frustrating. 

I have ADHD, I knew about it when I was about 10, I could never sit still (unless I had a good book) and pay attention, unless I thought the topic was interesting.  At that point, I usually knew too much, became obnoxious and wouldn't shut up ... guess not much has changed.


I’m dyslexic, therefore I often transpose letters, and I have to be ever vigilant in my writing, and best of all- the bane of my brain dyscalculia !!




I have this wonderful thing called, dyscalculia
In the easiest of terms I can't math.
For a more sophisticated explanation, the part of my brain that recognizes mathematical concepts, such as arithmetic fact memorization and patterns associated with numerical value never got switched on.




You’d be forgiven for never hearing of dyscalculia, it isn’t very well known, compared to ADD, ADHD, or even dyslexia

Throughout school teachers simply considered me stupid for not grasping simple math concepts, and got frustrated with my negative attitude towards math, starting from a young age. I struggled to learn my times table; I still don’t know most of them.  
I remember my father’s frustration of trying to teach me division and he couldn’t understand how I couldn’t understand it after he showed me over and over again. My mom was just a bit worse than I and couldn’t help me at all. 
I dreaded math time, and hated math classes. I never understood any of it.    



   
I always got the numbers wrong, or simply didn’t understand their place (percentage and decimal points). 
I (almost) never got the answer the way the teacher wanted, when they asked to show how I got my (correct) answer I was marked wrong, because I didn’t see it the way they wanted me to. 
I still remember trying to learn how to tell the time on a clock with hands. My teacher lost her patience with me and screamed at how stupid I must be not to be able to read 3:45 (or something like this, it was in 2nd grade) I remember her yelling, me crying, and not much else.  
I still have a hard time with those clocks. 



Study abroad in Korea
 However, language was my playground. I began reading before kindergarten, taught myself via
books on tape and reading along. 
In elementary I was writing my own stories and poems. By Jr. high my reading ability was at a college level, and I loved reading Walt Whitman and Shakespeare, despite my dyslexia. 
I did well in French and creative writing, teachers often chose me for writing projects and symposiums. When I got older I attempted teaching myself Russian, didn't get far, but I managed basic German, and Korean. It's fair to say, I like language. 


When I applied for college I took a test to check my comprehension of reading, writing, and math. 
My reading and writing (grammar & language comprehension) were both 98 out of 100, my math was something like 25~ I think less. 
Math just seems to be something my brain doesn’t grasp, although I try. 
I would sit in the booth during my tests crying from the anxiety of those tests. 




I barely made it through those math classes, and one friend sat next me telling me what each symbol meant, “This is a six, this is a seven this is an ‘X’. Now that’s not how you spell your name.”  There was only ONE teacher at my school that was patient enough to help me.
 A few tutors (and of course my friend) were absolutely amazing in their patience and willingness to explain why I can't correlate the answers via number relation that makes sense in my head but no where else... and "how the hell did you get the right answer?" and "That is a number not a letter."






 * My proudest moment regarding math
When I was in JobCorps, in Utah, I had to take classes for the T.A.B.E (Test for Adult Basic Education) and to get my G.E.D.  For the T.A.B.E. pre-test I had gotten good scores on reading, comprehension, history, science, but my math.... I could have thrown darts and gotten a better score. I now had two math classes to help me pass those tests I had to take (I really don't remember why anymore, this was 2002). One of those teachers realized I didn't see the numbers right, and other issues. I vaguely remember having a test to see if his hunch about my learning issue was right. I don't remember the details anymore, but I was 19 when my teacher realized I was dyslexic, Those two math teachers took their time, and patiently helped me pass my tests. 

The T.A.B.E. test was held every two weeks (or so) and I was too anxious to take the test, I didn't want to fail, but my teacher felt I was ready. One of the girls in my class was from Sudan and she was having a hard time understanding how to comprehend the word problems.
 I taught her my "weird" method (which my teacher didn't argue with) and she understood. My teacher said that he knew I was ready to go take the test, if I was able to teach another person how to do the word problems (paraphrasing).


I have the good fortune (in my humble opinion) to be creative. I often find solutions to issues, I have endless ideas for projects and I love music, literature and art. I enjoy photography and painting, but I couldn't do a Sudoku puzzle, and I don't like most games. I can see floor prints 3D in my head, but I can't divide without a calculator. I'm good with spacial arrangements, puzzles, and visualization but I need my fingers to add with. 
Oh boy, I must be a genius!
I understand what it is to struggle with basic concepts, and I see how hard some people work to overcome other issues in that regard, whether it be language, mechanical concepts, or history. My step-daughter told me she wished I could be her history teacher, because I have such a passion for it, she says I make it sound interesting. It is something she's had a hard time caring about at school, so when she asks me questions I try to make it more interesting in hopes she will enjoy it, and remember it better. 
It seems the best way to learn is by making it interesting, making it entertaining, or making it memorable… 




Comments

  1. What I've got only has the name mathphobia. I am horrible at giving change--I was interning at a consignment boutique for my Fashion Merchandising certificate, and they insisted I be on the register. Anytime someone handed me cash, I practically threw up! I am lousy at telling time, which is a pain in a work environment with timeclocks/timesheets. I use my fingers a lot. I also am iffy on multiplication tables. I just don't have that kind of brain. Mine is 95% creative with 5% for good organizational skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reveal: When I was in Junior High School--you know that very tender age--when we had major math tests (like for the Iowa exams), when the teacher said, "Start," I would open the first page and, while everyone else was figuring out problems I couldn't control it--I would just burst out crying from extreme tension. It was so humiliating! It happened a few different times. My classmates never said anything after the test ended. but they obviously thought I was whacko and felt kinda sorry for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts